These can be served as a snack, with a side of sweet chilli sauce, or can top an Asian slaw or noodle salad to be a more substantial meal.
Makes: 4 Large Cakes (or can make 8 small cakes).
- 300g firm tofu
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 red chilli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
- 90g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
- Drain the tofu and grate using the coarse side of a grater. Using a paper towel, press the tofu to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Finely chop the lemongrass, lime leaves, chilli, garlic and ginger.
- Mix in the chopped ingredients, then stir in the flour and salt to form a sticky mixture. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Form the mixture into small (golf ball) sized balls and flatten (if you want smaller cakes). Make the balls larger for the larger cakes.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a heavy frypan and fry the tofu cakes on medium heat for 4-6 minutes, per side.
- Drain on paper towel and serve with sweet chilli sauce.
Notes: If you serve them over an Asian slaw or noodle salad, the vegetables used can include carrots, zucchini (we like to make zoodles), broccoli, capsicum, cabbage, radish, green beans. The salad should be dressed with the following recipe.
Matt’s Asian Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp rice (or white) vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake until mixed.
Thanks, Matt for this delicious tofu recipe! IG @hashtag_thanks_matt #thanksmatt