- 3 sheets puff pastry of choice
- 1 medium butternut pumpkin, peeled and seeds removed
- 400g tin chickpeas drained and rinsed
- Herbs of choice, Garlic, Rosemary even Cumin provides a great flavour
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- Optional – 1 large handful of chopped spinach
- Optional – add-in a fist-sized piece of diced sweet potato too
- Dice the pumpkin and toss it in the olive oil. Place it in a lined baking tray and sprinkle with the rosemary and salt – For a healthier alternative I prefer to use a little bit of water to prevent sticking.
- Place in a preheated 200C oven for about 20 minutes, depending on Oven.
- Add the chickpeas to the pumpkin and mix in well to coat in oil. Return to oven for further 15 minutes.
- Place pumpkin mixture into a bowl, add in the rice and spinach (if using) and use a potato masher to crush all the ingredients together. If you want a smoother mix, use a blender or processor to combine all of the ingredients.
- Cut the pastry sheets in half and divide the mixture up between the sheets. An easy approach is to place it in a line down the middle of the pastry. Roll the pastry over the top of the mix to form long cylinders. From there you can cut them into whatever size you’d like, anything from large to party-sized.
- Lay on a baking tray with the join side facing down, you may use oil but I prefer a tiny bit of water to keep them from sticking.
- Cook in the oven until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 15 minutes then flip them over to cook evenly.
Note: Can be frozen and reheated, but make sure you do so in the oven, a Microwave will make them soggy.
Thank You to Byron for this quick snack idea! This is a great one to prep on a Sunday and freeze ahead for a weekday snack.
An Australian brand on a mission to make going vegan fun, enjoyable & simple!