Red Kidney Bean & Hemp Burgers
These are delicious on their own to have with salad for a main meal or made into burgers with yummy vegan add-ons such as hummus, vegan aioli, and tomato sauce!
Makes: 5 patties
- 1x can of red kidney beans (black beans work too, but any can of legumes should do the trick!)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs (can substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs if needed)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped Optional: any other favourite herbs and spices, e.g. paprika, ground coriander, garlic powder, etc. Oil, for frying
- First, make the chia “egg” by mixing the chia seeds and water in a cup and leave to sit for 10 minutes until thick.
- Drain beans and mash with a fork, still leaving some chunks.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients, adding more breadcrumbs so the mixture isn’t too wet.
- Shape into patties with hands.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook patties, about 6-8 minutes on each side or until crispy and heated through.
Delicious vegan burger recipe shared by Monica.
More from Monica IG @ _hungryfoodie_