Crispy breaded tofu served with a katsu sauce, rice and wok-fried greens
Crispy Tofu with Katsu Sauce
- 50g flour lightly seasoned with salt and pepper
- Splash of dairy-free milk (e.g soy)
- 100g Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- 1 block of firm tofu
- Greens of your choice (e.g tender stem broccoli, baby corn, green beans, mangetout, sugar snap peas, kale, pak choi)
- Ginger (approx 1-inch piece)
- A splash of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp honey alternative (rice malt is always a good choice)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Drain the tofu and cut it into 8 equal-sized pieces.
- Press the tofu to remove as much moisture as possible – the longer the better with a minimum of 10 minutes. If you don’t have a tofu press simply place the tofu pieces onto a piece of kitchen roll on a plate, layer another piece of kitchen roll on top, add another plate then place something heavy on the plate to weigh it down. Replace the roll every few minutes to remove the moisture.
- Make a light batter with seasoned flour and soy milk.
- Coat each tofu piece in the batter then dip into the panko breadcrumbs. Cover each tofu piece fully, you can double coat if you wish.
- Lay the breaded tofu onto a greased baking tray. Spray with a cooking oil spray and bake at 200 degrees celsius for about 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are crispy.
- In the meantime, make the curry sauce. Cook the onions and garlic in oil until softened. Add finely chopped carrot and cook until all the veg is soft and browning.
- Stir in the flour and medium curry powder, cook for a few minutes then slowly add the vegetable stock. Stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- Add the honey/vegan alternative, soy sauce and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for around 20 mins to thicken the sauce.
- Add the garam masala and either pass the sauce through a sieve or hand blend to create a smooth texture.
- For the wok-fried greens, heat oil in a pan or wok, fry onion, garlic and ginger until softened and brown then add your vegetables of choice.
- Stir fry with a splash of soy sauce, lime juice, 1 tsp of Chinese 5 spice and white wine vinegar.
- Cook rice to serve.
- Serve your crispy breaded tofu with a generous drizzle of katsu sauce, wok-fried vegetables and a sprinkle of coriander if you like.
Country: United Kingdom
More from Georgia: Instagram
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!