- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 250g Fable pieces thawed, and diced into 5-7mm pieces
- 2 medium onions diced
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large 750g jar passata OR 2 400g tins of diced italian tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- Salt, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Spaghetti, Fettucini or Linguini of your choice
Optional extras Parmesan and fresh basil for garnish
- Heat olive oil in heavy bottomed pot over highest heat, brown the Fable pieces for 3-5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside
- In the same pot place all the onion and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until softened and browned and beginning to stick on the bottom.
- Add vinegar and sugar and retain at medium heat until liquid is mostly evaporated (about 5 minutes).
- When vinegar is mostly evaporated, add tomato, basil and oregano reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours stirring every 10 minutes to keep the sauce from sticking and burning on the bottom of the pan.
- When the sauce has developed a darker color and richer taste, remove the lid, add salt and pepper to your taste and then stir in the fable
- Reheat over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- In a seperate pot bring water to boil and cook your choice of pasta – al dente.
- Serve your fable bolognese (from heaven) on top of your freshly cooked pasta. Grate parmesan on top and garnish with fresh basil.
Remaining Fable Bolognese can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.