“This flourless brownie is easy to make for the festive season. It uses black beans and oat flour in place of flour; making this brownie a good source of fibre, and provides a lovely dense texture.”
Flourless Spiced Cherry Brownies by Planted Jo
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1½ cup cherries
- ½ cup oat flour
- ⅓ almond milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- ⅕ cup olive oil/margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground clove
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F), or 180°C (360°F) if fan-forced.
- Carefully halve and pit cherries.
- In a food processor or blender, blend black beans until a paste forms.
- Add the remainder ingredients (except for the cherries) to the food processor or blender, and blend until it forms a thick batter.
- Fold cherries into the brownie batter.
- Line a baking tray (I used a 20cm x 20cm brownie tray) with baking paper.
- Evenly spread brownie batter in the lined baking tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the brownie.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting.
- Best served when warm.
- Oat flour can be made by quickly blending rolled oats in a blender or food processor. Fresh or frozen cherries can be used. Any plant milk can be used in place of almond milk. Sugar amount can be adjusted as desired. Icing sugar may be lightly dusted on the brownies before serving.
More from Jo: @planted_jo
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!