The Fry Family Food Co.’s Mother’s Day Cottage Pie
Frys Family Food Co Cottage Pie
“This Mother’s Day we recommend making mum a warming cottage pie for dinner, or even a plant-based spin on savoury mince for brekky.”
Ingredients1 x Fry’s Pea Protein Mince (follow the on-pack instructions to cook) 1 x cup dried porcini mushrooms 2 x large onions (diced) 2 x large unpeeled carrots (diced) 2 x tsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme per 2 tsp fresh) 2 x tsp fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried rosemary per 2 tsp fresh) 2 x smoked garlic cloves (minced) *or normal garlic cloves 1 x tbsp olive oil 1 x cup cooked brown lentils 2 x tbsp tomato paste 2 x tbsp vegetable stock (DIY or store-bought) 2 x tbsp garlic and breadcrumbs (optional) //Mashed potatoes\\ 9 x medium unpeeled potatoes (thoroughly washed) 2-4 x tbsp vegan butter 2-4 x tbsp plant-based milk Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in one cup of hot boiled water for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into evenly-sized chunks, and place into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a low boil on medium high heat, then generously salt, cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until soft.
- While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 220°C and lightly grease a baking dish or pan.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain, and add them back to the pot to evaporate any remaining water. Transfer to a mixing bowl and mash until smooth. Add the vegan butter and plant-based milk, before seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Loosely cover and set aside.
- In a large saucepan sauté onions, carrots, herbs, garlic and olive oil over medium heat until lightly brown.
- Drain the porcini mushrooms, but keep the liquid. Set the liquid aside and chop the mushrooms.
- Add the mushrooms, mushroom liquid, vegetable stock, and tomato paste to the carrot and onion mix and stir. Bring to a low boil before reducing the heat to simmer. Continue cooking until the onions are transparent. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add lentils and Fry’s Pea Protein Mince to the vegetable mix. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed before transferring the mix to the oven-safe baking dish and carefully top with mashed potatoes. Smooth with a spoon or fork and season with garlic bread crumbs (optional).
- Place the dish on a baking sheet to catch overflow and bake until the mash is lightly browned on top.
- Let cool briefly before serving. The longer it sits, the more it will thicken. The Pea Protein Mince Cottage Pie is perfect as leftovers! Let it cool completely before covering, and then store it in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat using the microwave.
Name Frys Family Food Co.
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!