“In my childhood home, we used to have a rhubarb plant that I only have memories about from when I was really young and never understood how a plant could be poisonous but also edible? There were only a few times here or there we would ever actually cut a stock off for a recipe. But at the grocery store, it caught my eye and I decided to give it a try, I’ve always loved berries in baking but rhubarb is a little unique and brings all the summer vibes.”
Rhubarb Raspberry Scones
Vegan scones with raspberry and rhubarb
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup cane sugar (half this if you want low sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 9 tbsp vegan butter
- 2/3 non-dairy milk (I used half almond, half heavy coconut cream)
- 3/4 cup diced rhubarb (sizes of pieces are personal preference!)
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder & soda into a large bowl and combine.
- Add butter in one scoop at a time so you have 9 pieces of butter in the dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, break down the butter into dry ingredients until it becomes flakey and combined.
- Add milk, fresh raspberries and rhubarb – gently fold to combine, mashing the raspberries as you go. I find this most successful if you get the raspberries really combined within the dough! The rhubarb is meant to stay as chunks.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface and press out into a semi-thick disk and cut it pizza style so you have 8 ‘slices’. These are the scones!
- Add scones to a greased tray and bake until golden brown. Cook time will depend on the thickness of the scones and the oven, but if they are golden brown you’ll get that perfect crunchy outside and soft inside!
- Delicious served with vegan butter & jam!
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!