Butterscotch Bourbon Bread Pudding
- 1/2 loaf day-old vegan brioche or 1 baguette (about 5-6 cups cubed)
- 1 jar Nature’s Charm Butter Scotch Sauce
- 2 cans Nature’s Charm Coconut Whipping Cream
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp bourbon, divided
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 1½ tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup pecans
- For serving: vegan vanilla bean ice cream
- Slice the bread into 2″ (5 cm) chunks. Place in a 9X13 glass pan or casserole dish. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 the jar of Nature’s Charm butterscotch sauce with the coconut milk, non-dairy milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and 1/4 cup of bourbon to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the poppy seeds and pulse at a low speed to combine.
- In a 9X13 glass pan or casserole dish, pour the poppy seed mixture over the bread. Add the pecans and mix with your hands to combine.
- Press the bread down into the pan. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours overnight.
- Uncover and bake at 160oC for 1¼ – 1½ hours, until the top begins to brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- While the bread pudding bakes, stir the remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) bourbon into the rest of the butterscotch sauce in a small saucepan.
- Heat until warm. Serve the bread pudding topped with ice cream and warmed butterscotch bourbon sauce.
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!