Creamy, vegan and seasoned with ‘Mingle’s’ Garlic & Herb seasoning blend – these are devilishly moorish…which is why we’re recommending you cook up a sizable batch.
We have partnered with our friends at Mingle seasoning. They make delicious seasoning without the nasties. Preservative Free, All Natural Ingredients, No Cheap Fillers & Vegan Friendly – just like we like it. You can get both Mingle and Fable at Coles now. – Fable
‘Cheesy’ Garlic & Herb Fable Croquettes
*preparation: 20 minutes, plus 2 hours soaking cashews and 30 minutes to chill the mixture
This recipe calls for two packets of Fable because ‘you don’t want to have too many croquettes!’ said no one ever.
- 500g Fable (2 packets)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos, finely chopped (can be substituted with chopped cornichons for non-spicy preferences)
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked at least 2hrs in room temperature water
- ½ brown onion, diced
- ½ medium sized carrot, peeled diced
- ½ potato, peeled diced
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Mingle Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- High smoking point oil for frying such as rice bran or canola.
- Soak cashews in room temperature water for at least two hours. Once soaked, strain and discard water.
- Boil diced onion, potato and carrot in 500ml of water in a saucepan for 30 minutes. The liquid should have mostly reduced to about ¼ cup. If there is still more liquid, strain into a bowl and reserve.
- While onion mixture is boiling, pulse Fable in a food processor until a chunky mince like consistency is achieved. Then fry Fable off in a pan with olive oil until brown. Stir Fable to even caramelise allowing pieces to develop some crispiness on around the edges.
- In a blender, add the cooked potato, onion, carrot, soaked cashews, Mingle Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend, onion powder, salt, nutritional yeast and ¼ cup of the reserved boiling liquid.
- Puree on high speed until smooth. You should end up with a consistency of thick yoghurt. Add more liquid if too thick and puree.
- In a mixing bowl, combine creamy puree with Fable pieces, diced jalapeno pickles (or cornichons) and fresh chives. Mix through to combine, salt to taste and chill mixture in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, heat oil in a saucepan for medium-deep to frying. While oil is heating up, take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and mould into thick ‘logs’ around 4cm in length. Place into a bowl of panko crumbs to generously coat, gently squeezing crumbs into the croquette. Repeat until the mixture is finished.
- Once the oil is very hot, gently drop croquettes, one by one, into the saucepan of hot oil and fry until golden brown. This won’t take very long – around one minute so be on standby to scoop them out onto a plate with some paper towel to soak off excess oil.
- Sprinkle with croquettes with salt flakes and extra fresh chopped chives. They can be eaten on their own or with a dipping sauce of your choice.