Growing up, my mom and I always enjoyed eating seafood together. I always LOVED fried clams. I made this dish for my mom while visiting her in Connecticut and she told me she’ll never eat fried clams again now that she’s had this!
Fried Oyster Mushrooms make the perfect clam substitute.
- 1 package of oyster mushrooms (4-8 oz.)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup flour + 1/4 cup flour, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp light olive oil, for frying
The Tarter Sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 generous pinch of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp caper juice
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- salt + pepper to taste
- Shred mushrooms into smaller pieces.
- Coat mushrooms in salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Set aside.
- Mix almond milk, 1/2 cup flour in a bowl.
- Pour 1/4 cup of flour onto a dish.
- Coat mushroom shreds in almond milk + flour mixture. Then coat in flour. Repeat this step until all oyster mushrooms are coated in the batter mixture and flour.
- On low-medium heat, pan-fry mushrooms until golden brown on one side and flip them over to fry the other side.
- Enjoy with cocktail sauce and vegan tartar sauce!
- For optimal enjoyment, serve immediately.
Name: Jackie Sheehan
More from Jackie: @myvegandelicacies
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!