“Since taking up cooking in the Q (quarantine), we’ve had a ton of fun veganizing and healthifying classic comfort foods and childhood favorites. It’s been so fun to learn about all the alternatives to traditionally not-great-for-you foods and ingredients! This lasagna represents this journey well.
It’s crazy healthy, filling, and of course DELICIOUS!”
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1.5 Tbsp.)
- 10-oz. bag fresh baby spinach
- One 8-oz. package of tempeh (cubed)
- One 8-oz. pkg. garlic & herb tofu cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 cups pasta sauce
- 3 cups salsa
- 12 uncooked green lentil lasagna noodles
One cup vegan parm
- blend 3/4 cup raw cashews,
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast,
- ¼ tsp garlic powder,
- ¼ tsp onion salt
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onions until translucent, then add garlic.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Add spinach, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted. Set aside.
- Blend tempeh, cream cheese, basil, and nutritional yeast, until mixture is thick and smooth. Add splashes of water to help lubricate if necessary, salt and pepper to taste
- Combine pasta sauce and salsa.
- Spread tomato mixture on the bottom of 13- x 9-inch baking dish
- Cover with one-third of noodles (4 or 5 noodles), spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture, then veggies, and ladle on another one-quarter of sauce.
- Repeat layer of noodles, filling, and veggies. Finish with a final layer of noodles and remaining sauce.
- Cover lasagna with foil, and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover, and bake 15 minutes more, or until noodles are tender.
- Sprinkle vegan Parmesan to cover the pan, and cook for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Name: Sarah Nesheim
More from Sarah: Instagram
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!