Seitan is a high protein addition to any dinner and works really well served with veggies and mash. It’s also an excellent addition to top pizzas, add into pasta and sandwiches!
- 1 can of rinsed and drained chickpeas (or 1 cup cooked)
- 3 tablespoons concentrated tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons of tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of water or vegetable stock
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- Herbs and spices: salt and pepper, oregano, thyme, poultry seasoning
- Optional: miso paste
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or by hand until a smooth liquid paste is formed.
- Transfer to a larger bowl and add in the gluten flour
- Knead and mix until a firm dough is formed! It will feel quite tough but this really helps in the texture of the steaks.
- Cut the dough into desired shapes (around 4-6 steak size) and then wrap in foil or parchment paper. Steam all the steaks in a double pot steamer for 20 minutes.
- Then you can really do whatever you like with them! Serve them hot from the steamer, or add them into a BBQ sauce marinade and grill. My favourite way is marinating in a BBQ sauce, and then frying up slices in a pan until dark and crispy.
More from Leah: @plantsomepeas
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!