When I first stopped eating meat, I was still living with my parents and was the only member of my family to be vegetarian. My mum, who taught me and inspired me to start cooking, always made sure I was never left out of big family holidays where meat was the centrepiece.
Having gone vegan since, I have veganised her recipe and given it my own twist! This Stuffed Butternut has become a tradition in our family and I like to think it has more success than the meat now 😉
Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Butternut squash
- Can chickpeas
- Fresh or defrosted Spinach
- 250g of vegan yoghurt, soya cream or coconut milk
- 600g of firm tofu, crumbled (optional)
- Chopped onion, ginger and garlic spices: cumin, paprika, cinnamon, nutmeg Fresh coriander
- Cut the butternut in two lengthwise and remove the seeds. Coat in a bit of oil, salt and pepper and bake at 200C for 45 minutes.
- Mix all the other ingredients (cream/chickpeas/tofu/spices/coriander) in a big bowl.
- When the butternut is done, remove the inside, leaving a 1cm wall around the edges. Add the inside of the squash to the mix and combine well.
- Put the combined mixture inside the squash and bake for another 15 minutes! (cover with aluminium if it has gone dark around the edges)
- Sprinkle with more fresh herbs
- Delicious served with a vegan gravy!
- Instead of one big butternut, you can get smaller, round ones. These are great if you’re looking to make a starter as they make individual servings. The recipe stays the same.
Country: United Kingdom
More from Clare: @clarecooks_
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!