Thai Basil Stir Fry (Vegan Pad Kra Pao)
Pad Kra Pao is one of the most popular Thai street foods, Spicy, Tangy with the intense aroma of Thai basil and lime. So appetizing! Best meal for lunch or dinner in the hot summer.
- Firm tofu 300g
- Brown onion 50g
- Pearl oyster mushroom 200g
- (Note 1) Red chilli (Note 2) Ginger
- 20g Tomato 2 ea (approx. 300g)
- Water 200ml
- Thai Basil or Holy basil
- 1 bunch Lime juice 1/2 ea
- Cooking sauce Light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Vegan oyster sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp (approx. 8g)
- More saltness Vegan fish sauce
- Prepare a cotton cloth and a bowl, break firm tofu into crumbles by rubbing fingers, then squeeze out as much water and you can
- Dice up the brown onion, finely chop ginger, chopping pearl mushroom, sliced red chilli, dice up deseed tomatoes and pick Thai basil leave off the stem.
- Add tofu crumble into a hot pan with oil and shallow fry it until it has a golden crust outside.
- Saute diced onion, minced ginger and red chilli until aroma comes out.
- Add diced tomatoes, chopped pearl oyster mushroom then fried tofu crumbles.
- Add light-dark soy sauce, vegan oyster sauce and coconut sugar. then add water
- Simmering and reduce the sauce down by half.
- Squeeze half lime juice in.
- Add Thai basil
- After basil wilt, it’s ready to serve!
Name: Shu-Chun Chuang
My pantry is always stocked with: soy sauce, curry powder, sesame oil
Thoughts on Veganism: “I believe that Vegan is the way to go in the future…good for the planet, good for animals, and good for us…It’s never too late to make the change.”
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!