Pasties are baked pastry filled with deliciousness. They are easy to make and work well hot or cold, for dinner or lunch, or just as a tasty snack for in between. Ever since we went to Cornwall on holidays last year, I’ve been obsessed with pasties and couldn’t believe how easy they are to make!
Vegan Cornish Pasties
Easy Cornish Pasties
For the Dough:
- 230g dairy-free butter
- 500g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk
- splash of water
For the Filling:
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 5 carrots
- 6 potatoes (medium size)
- 200g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- Sea salt and black pepper for seasoning
For the Dough
- In a mixing bowl put the dairy-free butter, flour, turmeric and salt.
- With your fingers, start mixing the dough. It’s a dry, crumbly mixture to start with.
- Slowly add the plant-based milk and a splash of water until the dough becomes slightly wet and easy to knead. Continue kneading for 5-10 minutes, then put aside.
For the Filling:
- Peel and finely chop the onion, garlic carrots, potatoes and mushrooms. In a medium-sized pot, add the olive oil, garlic and onion.
- Sauté until the onions become translucent. Then add the carrots and potatoes. Season with salt, pepper and 1 tsp paprika and keep stirring.
- Lastly, add mushrooms and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper & salt and add the remaining paprika.
- Preheat the oven to 200*C (400*F). 2
- Dust a clean work surface with flour.
- Roll the dough until it is about 3mm thick. Then using a round bowl (Ø14 cm), cut out round pieces of dough.
- Spoon the filling into the centre of each piece.
- Brush the edges with plant-based milk or water. Fold over and with a fork seal the edges.
- Pierce the pasty with a fork and brush over with plant-based milk.
- Transfer to a floured baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
More from Rena: @theedgeofveg
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!