- 1 loaf/6-8 slice rustic bread (We used sourdough as it tends to hold the batter well; other typical sandwich loaves can start to fall apart while cooking)
- 1 cup coconut milk (can be any plant-based milk, although coconut and oat may be better as they tend to be thicker)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (a.k.a: cornstarch)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a relatively flat bowl (better for dipping!), pour in the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla essence and stir.
- Mix together the cornflour, nutritional yeast, baking powder and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the coconut milk mixture, and whisk together until smooth. The mixture should be just starting to thicken, but still quite runny. If you fancy a thicker batter then simply add a little more cornflour.
- Heat up a griddle pan (a frying pan will do!) with some vegan butter or oil at a medium-high temperature.
- One at a time, dip a slice of bread into the batter for around 10 seconds on each side and then place carefully into the pan. Cook for around 3-4 minutes on each side (we like to do about a minute on each side and keep turning until they start getting golden brown and crispy).
- Remove from the pan and garnish with whatever you like! We’ve chosen maple syrup, berries and icing sugar, but other great toppings are banana, nut butter, vegan bacon.. anything you fancy really.
Name: Jess & Chris
More from Jess & Chris: @un_food_council
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!