Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 250ml Almond Milk + 1 tbsp Lemon Juice (to make buttermilk substitute)
- 110g Vegan Butter
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 300g Plain Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- Zest of 2 Lemons
For Lemon Sugar Syrup:
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 60g Granulated Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease and line a 9″ x 5″ loaf tin.
- First, make a buttermilk substitute by combining 250ml Almond Milk and the 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice in a jug. Set aside until needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and caster sugar until fluffy – the mixture will start looking lighter in colour once well creamed.
- Add vanilla extract and the 2 tsp of Lemon Juice and combine well.
- Sift over the plain flour and the baking powder and then mix with a wooden spoon until you have a mixture that looks a little sandy.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk – beat well.
- Add the zest of the two lemons and fold through.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and then place in the oven to bake for 60 minutes. Check on it about halfway through, if it has started browning a little too much on top, cover with tin foil.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave in the tin while you make the lemon sugar syrup.
- To make the syrup, combine the sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix until the sugar granules disappear and then drizzle over the top of the cake. Sprinkle over more granulated sugar to finish.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin then slice up and enjoy!
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!