Vegan Pastéis de Nata
A traditional Portuguese custard tart that I decide to veganise.
- 1 cup of non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons of corn starch
- a pinch of turmeric (for colour)
- 1 roll of store-bought vegan puff pastry
- Preheat your oven to the highest setting
- Grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- In a saucepan on medium heat whisk the plant milk, vanilla, maple syrup, turmeric and corn starch until it begins to thicken.
- Make sure to continuously whisk the mixture so that it doesn’t make clumps.
- Once the mixture becomes a custard consistency turn the stove off and set aside.
- Roll your pastry into a long roll and slice into equal slices (around 4 cm thick)
- Place the slices face up (so you can see the spiral) in the muffin pan and press down in the middle with your fingers (dipped in water), moulding it to the shape to the tin.
- Spoon your custard mixture into each pastry mould leaving a little bit of space at the top because the custard does bubble.
- Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes (depending on the heat of your oven) until the pastry is golden brown and the custard is bubbling. Then remove and place on a wire rack.
- Allow to cool slightly (it is normal for the custard to drop while cooling) and enjoy!
Name: Georgia Roux
Country: South Africa
More from Georgia: @abiteofvegan_
Have a recipe you’d like Vegan Pastéis de Nata you’d like to share? Submit one today!