Vegan Pastel de Nata (Portuguese Egg Tart).
King International is an Australian-based soy company with over 30 years of experience down under. The following recipe is in collaboration with King International. To see all of their wonderful products, visit them on Instagram Here.
● 1 package puff pastry, defrosted
(most are vegan, but always check ingredients to be sure)
● ¼ tsp black salt (optional)
● 2 tsp + 1 tsp cinnamon, divided
● 2 tsp sugar
● 1 serving of Poppy Custard Powder, according to package instructions
1. Combine 2 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp sugar in a small bowl
2. Sprinkle evenly on 3 puff pastry sheets
3. With a rolling pin, lightly roll each puff pastry sheet to push the sugar into the dough. Don’t push too firmly–you don’t want to roll the pastry out!
4. With a 10cm round cookie cutter, cut 12 circles out of the pastry sheets. Place eachcircle in a greased muffin tin and refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
5. Make Poppy Custard Powder according to package instructions and mixin 1 tsp cinnamon and ¼ tsp black salt. Allow filling to cool
6. Preheat oven to 210°C
7. Take the pastry out of the fridge and fill each tart ¾ of the way with your custard
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling has darkened in some spots
9. Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes
To see more amazing vegan recipes, visit our recipes page here.