As long as I can remember sausage rolls have been a feature at social gatherings everywhere. These are a ‘vegan take’ on the classic and they’ve been tested at many an office morning tea and is always the first plate to disappear!
Vegan Sausage Rolls
Wholesome, satisfying ingredients wrapped in pastry!
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup of pecans
- 1 3/4 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (check to ensure they’re vegan)
- 1 1/2 Tbl dried Italian herbs
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 300g silken tofu
- 2 Tbl soy sauce
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 3 sheets vegan puff pastry
- Plant milk to glaze
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ 390°F
- Add onion, garlic, pecans, oats, breadcrumbs, herbs, salt and pepper into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Next add in the tofu, soy sauce and spinach and continue to process to combine.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half lengthwise. Place the mixture on the puff pastry sheets in a sausage-like formation (the mixture is fairly wet. If it’s too wet to work with add a little more breadcrumbs before you start assembling). Roll it up using the milk to seal the edge, keeping the join side on the bottom.
- Cut to the size you want and brush some more milk on top to glaze (you can add sesame seeds at this stage if you want to get a little fancy). Cut each roll into six party-sized sausage rolls.
- Put the sausage rolls on an oven tray and bake for 20-25mins or until puffy and golden.
- A lot of supermarket puff pastry is accidentally vegan, just double-check the ingredients. Many brands of breadcrumbs contain fish so be sure to buy vegan breadcrumbs or make your own
Have a recipe you’d like to share? Submit one today!