5 Easy Vegan Dinners to cook during Isolation.
We are inside, we are hungry and we want a hearty vegan meal!
Well have no fear, we have 5 easy vegan recipes for you that will fill and nourish during isolation.
1. Walnut-Parsley Risotto
- 250g risotto rice (one-grained wheat)
- 500ml vegetable fond (vegetable soup)
- half a bunch of fresh parsley (~25g)
- 50g whole walnuts 50g leek (or onions)
- 1 glove of garlic olive oil
- Cut the leek into fine cubes and roast it with some olive oil in a pot 2.
- Add the risotto rice, salt it and roast it for a few minutes
- Chop the garlic and put it into the pot
- Deglaze the rice with the fond just till it’s covered up
- Keep stirring and add some fond every few minutes
- Chop the parsley and the walnuts
- The risotto is finished as soon as it’s firm to the bite (al dente)
- Mix the parsley and the walnuts in the risotto and season it with salt and pepper as desired
- Serve the risotto and garnish it with some parsley and a walnut
Tip: Make your own vegetable fond/soup by cooking the vegetable cut-offs with some juniper berries, bay leaves, salt and pepper for about half an hour.
2. Easy, Peasy, Macaroni Cheesy
- Grated ‘applewood farm smoked cheese’
- Grated jalapeño and chilli
- ‘Free from cheese’ from Tesco
- Grated Violife mozzarella cheese
- Dreams cashew milk (or any plant based milk)
- Dairy free butter
- Red onion Frozen spinach Frozen cauliflower
- Black pepper
- Chilli flakes
- Tesco’s own spiral pasta Marigold vegetable bouillon powder
- Chop half of a red onion, and put 2 handfuls of frozen spinach and cauliflower and 200g worth of pasta into the pan
- Add water and 1 tablespoon of marigold vegetable bouillon and bring to the boil.
- Grate the applewood farm cheese and the free from Tesco’s cheese into a bowl.
- Melt a table spoons worth of the free dairy free butter in a small pan. Then add 1-2 cups (depending on how many people you are cooking for) of the dreams cashew milk or any plant based milk and stir.
- Add the grated cheese, chilli flakes and black pepper to the pan, and stir.
- Once the sauce has thickened, and the pasta and vegetables have cooked. Drain the pasta and vegetables and add the cheese sauce to the pan and mix.
- Once the pasta and vegetables are covered in sauce plate the dish up.
Name: The Vegan Mancunian
Country: United Kingdom
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped into discs
- 1/4 red capsicum, sliced
- A handful of frozen peas
- 2 cups chopped and washed kale
- 3 medium-sized mushrooms, sliced
- A handful of chopped broccoli florets
- 1-2 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2-3 tbsp coconut milk (start off with two and add another tbsp if too thick)
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce/tamari
- A squeeze of lime juice
Cooked rice, to serve (brown, white, basmati, whatever you like!)
Heat the oil in a pan/wok. Pour in all vegetables and cook, stirring regularly, for about 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are relatively soft, but still have a bit of crunch to them. Add in the soy sauce, and stir around for about a minute. Pour in a bowl and serve with rice and satay sauce. Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!
This recipe was kindly provided to us by Romy IG @romysveganlife
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 large carrot cut into small cubes
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 1/4 head of cabbage shredded
- 5 large silverbeet leaves and stalks finely chopped
- 1.5L chicken stock (I use Massel)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Dried chilli flakes to garnish
- Prepare all of your vegetables and set aside.
- In a large pot heat up the oil on medium heat. Add the onions and cook 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute.
- Add the potato, carrot and cabbage and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and dried thyme and bring the soup to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the silverbeet and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook a further 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with chilli flakes and enjoy your bowl of nourishing soup.
5. Spaghetti with tomato & garlic
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 box of tomatoes (20 pieces)
- 1 big handful of arugula
- 0.5 dl vegan cream
- 0.5 dl pasta water
- 1 dl vegan shredded cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Spaghetti for 2 people
1. Add chopped onion and garlic to a pan.
2. Fry it off in a good amount of olive oil.
3. Add the tomatoes and mash them, also add the arugula and stir.
4. Keep adding the rest of the ingredients and spices + cooked spaghetti.
5. Blend everything together and serve in two bowls. I added some extra salt on the top.
Name: Sarah Jansén
More from Sarah: https://www.instagram.com/vegansheart/
We hope you enjoyed the 5 Easy Vegan Dinners to cook during Isolation! Do you have an easy vegan recipe you would like added to our next list? We are always looking for new vegan recipes to share with the community. Submit Your Recipe Here.
5 Easy Vegan Dinners to cook during Isolation.