Egg Replacement Recipes for Breakfast.
You normally eat eggs but want to eat vegan for breakfast? Here are some egg replacement recipes for breakfast.
Old egg habits die hard. For years you may have scrambled, fried, poached, or boiled as part of your morning breakfast routine. Now you are looking to cut out the eggs and find an alternative that still tastes good, still has great texture, and still gives you that warm full, high in protein feel. Well, we have some epic ideas to get you going. Below are 5 sure-fire recipes to get you feeling bright and sparky in the morning. Enter the vegan heart starters (add coffee for best results).
1. Chickpea Omelette
This protein-packed plant-based omelette is quick and easy to make and can be customized to your specific tastes, making it a delicious breakfast option for any day of the week!
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of your choice (unsweetened, original)
- 1/4 cup vegetables of your choice
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Mix the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, turmeric, baking soda, and salt & pepper together in a bowl.
- Add the plant-based milk of your choice and whisk until there are no visible lumps. Let sit.
- Chop vegetables of your choice and saute them in a frying pan until lightly browned. Some of my favourite vegetables for this recipe are bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and spinach. Once cooked, remove the vegetables from the frying pan and put to the side.
- Pour the chickpea batter into a lightly oiled or nonstick frying pan on medium heat. The batter should be spread out in the frying pan and resemble one crepe-like shape.
- Sprinkle the cooked vegetables on top while the batter is still wet
- The omelette should cook from the bottom upwards so you won’t need to flip it. Just keep an eye on the pan and turn down the heat if necessary to ensure that the bottom does not burn.
- Once cooked throughout, fold the omelette in half and serve!
- You can use water instead of plant-based milk if you would like. Feel free to get creative with different chopped vegetables inside of the omelette as well as toppings – some additional toppings that work well are salsa, avocado, vegan cheese, and/or hummus!
Name: Tayler Hernandez
More from Tayler: @plantifulparadise
2. Tofu Scramble
A delicious, protein-rich breakfast that’s incredible paired with sourdough!
- 1 block of firm tofu, pressed to remove moisture
- 1 diced white or green onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- Herbs and spices to taste: salt and pepper, turmeric, cumin, thyme and kala manak (black salt) all work excellently in this dish
- Sauté the onion in a pan over medium-high heat until translucent
- Add in the garlic, continuing to heat until fragrant. Use vegetable stock to sauté for extra flavour
- Crumble over the block of firm tofu with your hands until it resembles scrambled egg texture. Add in the dijon mustard and extra water and cook until desired texture.
- Finally, add all the spices in and continue cooking and adding more vegetable stock and water as needed. At the end, you can add in any frozen vegetables of leftovers (i.e spinach) to bulk the meal out!
- Serve with avocado sourdough and garnish with green onion
More from Leah: @plantsomepeas
3. Tex Mex Tofu Scramble
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 cups fingerling potatoes cut into fours
- 1/4 of a block of firm tofu
- 2 tbsps sliced spring onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper
*optional add salsa
- First grab your tofu, pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Sauté the potatoes in olive oil or on a non-stick pan until they start to brown, then add the bell pepper and cook until they both reach your desired consistency.
- Crumble your tofu onto the potatoes and peppers, add the turmeric and cumin.
- Stir everything until well combined, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate and top with the spring onions.
- Now you are all set to enjoy a delicious meal!
More from Susanna: @foodisa_blessing
4. Fail-Safe Pancakes
I don’t like to over complicate things and that tea slates into my cooking. Before I was vegan, I struggled to make good pancakes… they just never came outright. But with this recipe… You literally can’t fail!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter (I use Nuttlex)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Mix everything together in a bowl and you’re ready to go!
- I add a little bit of oil into a pan, just to coat it and have the gas on medium heat. I only add a tablespoon of batter for each pancake. If you find that the batter is too watery, add a little bit more flour. They should hold their shape when you add the spoonful to the pan.
- I find that cooking them on a lower heat, works better, they just take a little longer to cook through but it saves you burning them! Once you see the little bubbles appear… they are ready to be flipped over.
- The best thing about pancakes is that you can be so creative about what to add to them!
- You can add in some chocolate chips as you cook them, even prices of fruit… blueberries or bananas!
- Every time, I try something different. Don’t be scared to try different combinations!
Name: Bron Mileham
5. Matt’s Tofu Tacos
Tacos are a great snack to have when entertaining! You can fill them with many different ingredients, below are our favourites
- 250g firm tofu
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 onion
- 1tbsp oil
- 2 limes
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp oregano
- pinch cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Tomato Salsa
- Shredded Lettuce
- 8 Tortillas
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl/seal-able container.
- Drain the tofu and pat dry with a paper towel. Slice into 1/2cm thick strips. Slice the mushrooms and zucchini into similar sized slices. Add to the marinade and stir to coat.
- Marinade for at least one hour. This can be done longer (even overnight), shaking occasionally to mix.
- Heat the oil in a frypan and fry the sliced onion and capsicum for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the marinaded ingredients, and marinade too. Fry the mixture until the tofu/capsicum starts to blacken slightly.
- Serve in warmed tortillas with lettuce, salsa and/or guacamole and any other desired toppings.
- To make guacamole, scoop out the flesh from the avocado and mash with a fork (or blitz in a food processor).
- Add the remaining ingredients, then adjust for taste. Add more lime juice if too oily/avocado-y. Add more garlic if you can’t taste it. Add more salt if the taste seems flat. Add more oil if too zesty from the lime.
Name: Carlie & Matt
More from Carlie & Matt: @hashtag_thanks_matt
So there you have it, five amazing swaps for your traditional egg breaky that are easy, delicious and protein-packed! You’re welcome.
If you have a recipe you would like to add, we are always looking for new vegan submissions. Feel free to send them HERE.
For more recipes visit our Recipes Section here too.